Friday, November 6, 2009

Moms Get Fit: Week Two Done

Week one was hard.  Week two did not get much easier for me.  Since I was able to eat some of the Morningstar Farms products to get my protein during week one, I wasn't able to add as many veggies on week two as everyone else.  And I still can't...but I do get yogurt and string cheese!  And almonds! And pickles! 

But not all together.  That would be gross. 

This week has been filled with a little more stress than usual.  Mom has been doing really well since her wrist surgery last Friday.  She's already stopped taking her pain meds.  She's still in a bit of pain but as she put it, she's a lot less dopey now!  That's not the stressful part.  In case you were wondering. 

There are personal things, and work things, and other personal things that are just piling up.  We're pulling in a LOT less income these days with the forced job change, yet our expenses have increased a bit because let me tell you, those Morningstar Farms things ain't cheap. (Yes, I said ain't.  I know it's incorrect.  I'm being cute. Deal with it. And then tell me how cute I am.)  With my mom out of commission, my father-in-law has been over-the-top helpful kind just plain awesome to us by making himself available to watch my daughter during the week.  He lives in Cocoa, which means that he stays at our house Monday-Thursday.  It's convenient, but it's also a hard routine change to get used to, especially adding in the fact that our condo is Tiny (with a capital "T," did you catch that?). 

My schedule is exhausting right now.  It's going to get worse when December hits and we start caroling gigs, but the light at the end of the tunnel is January when things calm down and we have our caroling paychecks to pay down more of our debt.  Gazelle intensity!  Not to mention the fact that hopefully by that time, I'll be at my goal weight. 

Or close to it.  At the rate that I'm going, I don't think I'm going to reach my goal weight quite that quickly.

I know that Medi is marketed as a safe way to rapidly lose weight and learn how to keep it off.  Well...so far, I'm not really seeing the "rapid" part.

In my second week, I lost an additional 1.4 pounds and no more inches from my waist. Now, I know that most of you are probably thinking that's great.  And it is!  I'm glad that I'm actually losing some weight! Wah-hoo!

Here's the deal: I'm going to Medi twice a week and getting two injections each time.  I'm also taking 9-10 pills a day.  I'm eating less than 600 calories per day (and it's all protein, some fat from the almonds), less than 25 grams of carbs per day, drinking six bottles of water per day or more, weight training with James twice a week and walking for 30 minutes (at 3.5 mph) four days a week.

Not to mention the fact that last weekend was Halloween.  Want to guess how much candy I ate?  NONE.  We also went to a Halloween party.  Guess what I had a the Halloween party.  Go on, guess!

WATER.  Water is what I had at the party, while everyone else snacked on pizza bagels and cookies and drinks. I stood firm.

And...1.4 pounds this week?  Really?  Where's the rapid part?  Isn't that the amount of weight people encourage you to lose by eating a balanced 1200-1500 daily calorie diet and exercising 4-5 times per week? 

So why, when I'm doing all of these extra things, is my weight not coming off quicker?  It's not like I can kick it up a notch by doing anything more drastic! 

I know that weight is just a number.  I know muscle weighs more than fat and I'm probably gaining muscle with James.  So that also begs the question: why only 1/2 an inch in two weeks...not even a full inch?  Why have I only lost .8% body fat...not even one full percent?

Truly, I don't mean to come across like a whiner.  I just feel like I'm working SO hard, running myself ragged between 10-hour workdays, personal training, clinic visits, being a wife, trying to spend time with my daughter, supporting my mom, taking care of our home, learning music so that I can work a second job caroling this season.  I'm doing as much as I can, but I feel like it's still not good enough. I can't do anything more drastic.

It makes me nervous that because our finances aren't so hot right now, if I'm not down to my goal weight once the prize package of 12 weeks with Medi and 20 sessions with James runs out, I'm not going to be able to afford the help that I've been getting in order to lose all the weight.  Or to keep it off, for that matter.

So that's my end-of-week-two recap.  On a lighter note, here is a short exchange that I had with my two-year-old this week:

Baby: Where did your car go?
Me: Daddy and Grandpa took it.
Baby: That wasn't very nice...
Me: Well, see, Daddy asked first if he could take it, and Mommy is sharing.
Baby: Oh!  That's very good sharing, Mommy.

I love my girl. 

3 comments:

  1. Relax...it's going to take a few weeks for your body to "get it"---then the weight will fall off. Trust me.

    And you know what, (as I giggle to myself in an evil little voice)...you're lying!!! (get it...do you?) Huh? Huh?

    Love you! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa I don't really have much to say, but I am going to tell you that you are one strong cookie girl, it seems to me that you have lots and I mean lots of willpower(not sure of spelling). Hang in there because you will be able to do it, I know you will. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can TOTALLY do this!! You have to live like no one else, so that later you can LIVE! like no one else. :) Week 2 was harder for me than week one, but I did it!

    ReplyDelete