Sunday, August 16, 2009

Searching for Balance

When I found out I was pregnant...well, let's just say I was DUMB.  I had zero expectations.  I didn't have any idea how much I was going to love my little girl.  Although to be honest, if I had an expectation I'm sure my reality would far exceed it!
I had no idea how difficult it was going to be for me to get up at all hours of the night to feed her.  
I had no clue how it was going to hurt to listen to her cry as I worked to get her onto a schedule.  Yeah, it hurt but boy am I grateful that she's been sleeping through the night in her own room since she was five weeks old.  
Most of all, I didn't expect to miss her as much as I do when I'm at work.  It's horrible.  To be honest, when I was working with Wally at the church - in my most favorite job EVER with my most favorite boss EVER - I thought about her a lot and missed her, but I didn't resent my job because I enjoyed it so much.  I had the opportunity to be in ministry, in music; to pray, worship, laugh, plan, design and administrate. My job was FUN.  My boss was FUN and relaxed and had so much faith and trust in me and my work.  I miss that job.  It allowed me so much more time with my daughter because of the "weird" hours of the position.  
Then the church laid off 25% of the staff (which - surprise! - included me) and I had to find another position as quickly as possible.  
I'm grateful that I've found a job - but it's nothing like my ministry position that I loved so dearly.  My current boss is the complete polar opposite of my former boss, in every way .  My job takes away so much time that I used to have with my girl.  
I still haven't quite found the balance between working a 40-hour week outside the home and being a mom, and a housekeeper, and a wannabe face painter who doesn't have time to practice.  Not to mention a wife, a friend, a daughter.
There are weekends when I feel like I just want to stay home and rest - but then I feel guilty when she wants to go play with sidewalk chalk and I just don't feel like doing anything.  
There are other weekends when I have so much to do - I have to practice for this face painting gig, or I have tons of laundry to do, or I have to clean because guests are coming over.  Then I feel super, super guilty because she watches The Little Mermaid twice in one day.
Other weekends, all I do is focus on her.  We go to Disney, or Universal, or the park...and then I wonder if I'm not giving her too much attention and turning her into the stereotypical "only child."  
I'm pulled in so many directions and I have so many questions about which way to go for this situation or that situation.  
I didn't have many expectations when I found out I was pregnant.  But I kind of figured that by the time she was two, I'd have some sort of balance to my life.
I feel as though because I work so much and rarely see her Monday-Thursday, on Fridays and weekends my focus should be solely on her.  Then I feel bad because the rest of my  housework isn't getting done, or friends aren't getting the attention they need - laundry's not done, floors aren't clean.  But if I do anything away from her when I'm at home, I feel like I'm a bad mom because I don't have that much time with her to begin with.  It's SO hard for me to go out on a girls' night, or go out with friends, or go on a date with my husband, because I feel like I can't bear to be away from her.  If only I could find a way to stay home with her, or work from home, then I would feel okay to give up some of my time with her.  I just don't want to give up any time with her.
I need to find a balance between work, housekeeping, parenting, and living in general.  But where to start? 

3 comments:

  1. Mel-Belle, you are a phenomenal woman and mother. everyone feels this way. Relaxxxxxxxx. You are what K needs. Perhaps if you focus more on what you do that is wonderful, instead of all your so called "shortcomings" you will feel better. I adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole (Hable) BaldwinAugust 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM

    Melissa you're an awesome mom. In every picture of her (even the candid ones) she looks genuinely happy. You are a better mother than 99% of the parents at my school and probably tied with the other 1%. You care for her and what she needs. You work because you know you have to support her. Hopefully in time you'll be able to find something you love to do that allows you to spend time with her. You know you could always work at a preschool and that way she could be there? Not sure if that's your thing or not. I would say work at a school but Orange County is messed up and I've heard Seminole isn't too much better with finding a job now. Anyhow, don't feel guilty or bad because you're doing the best you can and that little girl loves you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of who you are as a Mom. Maybe you do have to get up most days and go to a job that you dislike. But when you come home to Kristina, she is the happiest girl in the world. I don't want to sound cliche, but it's the quality of time you spend with her, not the quantity. And every minute you two are together, you both know how much you're loved. I know that if you put your mind to it, you can find a way to be able to work part time so you won't feel so torn. Kristina is as lucky to have you for a Mom as I am to have you for a daughter. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete